Sunday, November 2, 2008

Problem after Problem...

Well it has been sometime since I’ve updated this blog. But I felt that it would have been boring to discuss an uninteresting and tedious process when installing drywall. The process of putting up drywall consists of securing drywall panels with drywall screws against the framing studs. After completing that process, while utilizing a fiber tape, you fill the cracks and drill heads with joint compound. This process is also known as mudding. The real “fun” comes when you sand the joint compound to be smooth with the walls. The process is repeated usually 2 to 3 times… mud, sand and repeat. The dust particles from the sanding get into everything and everywhere… I recommend taping a plastic barrier to the main entrance, this will minimize particle movement. Plus minimize additional clean up… BTW, I didn’t do this…. I also recommend using a respirator half mask whenever you do this type of work. The dust particles take a long time getting out of your nostrils if you don’t… Trust me it sucks… Here is a picture showing what I’m talking about.

Ok with that brief description out of the way, here is what was done to the bathroom. I first cut all the 4 ft x 8 ft panels to be manageable pieces within the confined space. I screwed the panels into the framing studs. For the outside corners I installed metal corners. This gives the outside corner a clean edge and also gives it structural integrity. For the inside corners and sections that met, I used a mesh type fiber tape. I prefer the mesh type over the solid tape. If the solid tape is not properly mudded, an air bubble can get underneath and peal off later in the process.

A real effort was made to minimize four corners of the drywall panels to meet in the same area. What happens is that it weakens the drywall corner and you get some sagging, especially in the ceiling. I would recommend in avoiding it at all cost. It makes the ceiling look droopy.

I measured the location of the plugs, switches and junction box to cut out opening within the drywall panels prior to installing. If not, there was a good chance of cutting the electrical lines.
The follow photos show that the mudding and sanding has been completed. You can see the clean surfaces. Of course after this process, I look like someone dumped powder sugar all over me… sorry no photos….

After completing the sanding, I painted a coat of primer. The following photos show that process.

I initially struggled trying to find a color for this room. I’m planning on using the same flooring that is in the kitchen for the bathroom. The vanity counter top is white. But after some evaluation of the tile comparing it with the vanity, I come to the decision to use a Behr paint color of Sandstone Cove. The pictures don’t really give the color justice but a color sample is enclosed. I taped the bathtub and started painting the walls.

So while I was upstairs painting. The furnace kicked on… BTW the furnace in itself is another story. But I will eventually get to that story… So while the room was attempting to get warm through the radiators, what I heard next was pretty disturbing... It sounded like water was spilling on the floor... The noise was coming from the radiator. I walked over and noticed that the radiator was spilling water. It looked like it was coming from the cast iron fins and not from the pipe connection... One problem after another...

The initial inspection reveals that the subfloor is damage. The radiator looks to be sinking in the floor. Steamed water looks to be pouring out of the first radiator fin. This may explain why I have to refill the radiator with water every night.

The picture shows a reddish tint to the cast iron radiator. Further evaluation of the picture reveals that there is a possible crack that is in-line with the reddish substance. CRAP!!!!

I attempted to close the valve. But it seems to be corroded shut… CRAP!!!! Well that is all I have for the moment but join me next week for another installment of This Old Crappy House… Until then happy demolition….

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails