Sunday, March 28, 2010

I give up...

Now that the wonderful festivities of St. Patrick are over, I can now get back to working on the house. Last weekend was the traditional road race and parade in Holyoke. I had attended the road race as a spectator of course. Here are a couple of pictures from the road race.


After getting my head on straight from last weekend, I decided to begin this weekend by continuing the kitchen remodel. Over the week, I had decided to try to remove the paint from the tin ceiling. Thus I purchase a heat gun and most importantly a Lead paint test kit. Since I have some areas of the house that have Lead paint, I wanted to be extremely cautious. Lead paint when heated, releases a toxic gas that can be extremely dangerous to the human body. After conducting the test it turns out that ceiling was painted with something other than Lead paint. I have to admit that was a relief.

The process wasn’t as easy as I had initially thought. When using the heat gun, the moisture under the paint would evaporate and become trapped under the covering layer of the paint, which would cause it to bubble up. Once bubbled, I would use a scrapper to remove the paint. Here is what the surface would look like after scrapping the surface.
However, because of the texture embossed in the tin ceiling, it was extremely difficult to remove all of the paint. I then tried to use paint remover solution and a metal wired brush. This process was also difficult. After about 2 hours of repeating the process, here are the result.

One tile after 2 hours… So I decided that it was time to stop this process all together and just re-paint the ceiling. To finish the entire surface it would be extremely time consuming. I have to remember that this is just a rental property and I should not spend too much time on things like this. So with that said, I decided to change course and finish the crown molding.

Here are a couple of pictures of the crown molding thus far.

There is still a lot of work required to finish the kitchen, but it is slowly coming together… Well until next time, happy building.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails