Sunday, September 14, 2008

The rain takes a break....ok for a day....

The heavens above finally gave pause. Like I previously stated, I was hoping that I would only remove the tub and walls. But because of the water damage, the demolition to the bathroom included removing the ceiling. The insulation in the walls were also water logged, so they were removed. I had hoped there would be only minimal damage to the studs and joist. Although before that evaluation could start, I decide to contact my realtor.

I request my Realtor Christine, to contact the original owners to identify the roofer that installed the roof. On the listing it was stated that in 2002, a new roof was installed. So my thinking was that since the roof was damage, that there should be some type of workmanship agreement that stays with the house.

So a day past, when I finally get an email from my realtor. The seller's realtor, had submitted an email on behest of the sellers. I won't bore you with the extended information that was on the email but two pieces of information made me make the next decision. 1. That the siding, windows, and roof were done by family members... 2. "That they question the roof because they never had a problem during all of the rain...."

So at this point, I decided to fix the problem myself without any help from the previous owners...
So I had a buddy help me out... He was certainly Johnny on the spot... But sadly enough... he started the job and didn't finish. I think he was overwhelmed and was out of his league... Luckily he never saw a dime....

Here you see the old plywood being removed from the back porch.

No, that is not a sky light... Although, it wouldn't be a bad idea... This is another picture showing the work that was started on the plywood. The work done, was enough to keep most of the water out of the apartment so that I could complete the demolition.



With the work on the roof done.... Well not completely....Done until I can get a real roofer to fix it...I was able to complete the demo work... Here is a bucket in the bathroom showing the rain evidence after the questionable roof work...

What you are see is where the bathtub once stood. The studs don't look that bad... The 2 x 4's are what I'm referring too.. keep your mind out of the gutter...

I was looking at the picture one night... I had felt that something wasn't right... it bugged me... Then after looking at it further, looking at the picture above and below.... It slapped me in the face... I realize that the color of the studs were different... That all the older studs were dark in color.. then there is this one stud... A New Stud... How the heck that get there? I thought the previous owners never had a problem? But how did the new stud get there? The questions...

Here is another picture showing the same stud in question... That is when I decide to contact a lawyer. More on that later.

The vent was installed incorrectly, this picture shows the exhaust exiting out into the attic... This is wrong.. This is how mold can be produced... Luckily I don't see any...

The boards look pretty bad.. But I did not see or note any rot... So that is a good thing...

However, what the heck is this? Plywood damage? Not good... The plywood feels soft to the touch... CRAP!!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails