Monday, September 15, 2008

What a beautiful shine...

After talking with the lawyer, I had received good and bad news... The lawyer basically stated that I certainly do have a case. I could possibly place a suit against the sellers and against the inspector... However, what would it really accomplish. If I did win, the legal fees would possibly out weigh the settlement... So he recommend that I contact the insurance company and see what they can do to help. That it wouldn't hurt. That if they didn't help, that we could possibly reconsider the suit.

So that is what I did... I contact the insurance company and they help out tremendously... So the money received will be used to fix the bathroom ceiling and walls. I was extremely pleased to get some outside help... So I contacted my lawyer and continued mission with getting the house up and running.

Since the roof and bathroom was currently settled for now. I continued to work on other pressing issues within the apartment. After installing the floor in the living room, I figured that it wouldn't be that hard to sand and polish the bedroom floors... So I went to Home Depot and rented a Sander. It is not the traditional belt sander, it has four rotating pads that allows you to Velcro the sand paper on. The total cost of renting the sander and purchasing the sand paper was about $400.00

Here is the sander that was used in the bedrooms. Because of the rotating pads the path of the sander doesn't have to follow the traditional grain path of the wood. It was extremely easy to get into tight places without having to worry about destroying the floors. The only thing though is that it is extremely heavy. So use caution when lifting it..

Bedroom 3, was the first room to get the sanding. There was no specific reason but it work out very well.. It took 3 days to sand, stain and apply polyurethane to all of the rooms. I chose a cherry color stain with a semi-gloss polyurethane. I also used a special stain mop head to apply both the stain and polyurethane. Two coats of stain and 3 coats of polyurethane were applied. Between the application of the polyurethane, I sanded the floors. I was originally going to sand the floors with the sander, but felt that the weight of the sander would damage the beautiful floors... So I used a drywall sander pole to sand the floors. As if I was moping.

While applying the stain, I do admit that I was a little to aggressive. If look at the floor board trim you can see what I'm talking about.... oops...

Bedroom 2, was the easiest room to get done. Slightly because it was the smallest room. But, I really liked the finish look of this room. The hardwood floor in this room has a lot of character. It looks really beat up, but I really like how it has a vintage look and how it sticks out..

The master bedroom, was the hardest room to get done. The problem in this room was how the floors were wavy. So the sander tried to walk away. At times, it was a little difficult to maneuver the sander in this room. But the end result was outstanding.. I felt really excited about the finish rooms. I was finally feeling a sense of accomplishment. It is slowly coming together...

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails